Thursday, July 25, 2013

Another Summer Project: Teacher Toolbox

A couple weeks in to every school year, my once neat and tidy desk starts to overflow with papers and office supplies. Last year, I saw many other teachers posting on their blogs about making a teacher toolbox and I couldn't wait until I had time to make my own. 

Here it is: 



I definitely took the longest route because I had particular scrapbook paper that I wanted to use and my printer was low on ink. The easy way to do it would be to print the whole label for each drawer with a colorful background so you just have to cut the labels out and stick them on the drawers. Instead, I cut out all the pieces of scrapbook paper for each drawer and then printed and cut out the cutesy framed label for each drawer and glued it to the scrapbook paper. Then, I taped the completed label mounted to scrapbook paper to the inside of each drawer. I would suggest not doing it the way I did.

I also didn't like the color of the original toolbox (dark blue) so I spray painted it white using the spray paint that works for plastic. I had better luck with the Rustoleum 2x Ultra Cover Paint+Primer from Home Depot than I did with the Valspar equivalent from Lowe's.

I'm posting a link to the Word document (here) that I created in case you also have specific scrapbook paper you'd like to use. You may also edit it to add backgrounds, change fonts, etc. Because the frame I used is actually a font, I'm not sure if there is a way to keep the fill of it white while changing the background of the other text box. If you find a way, please let me know! There are two layered text boxes, one with the frame which is a font called KG Flavor and Frames Four by Kimberly Geswein Fonts. The text is the font VanessaLovesYou by http://bythebutterfly.com. Both of these fonts are available on dafont.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment