Monday, August 27, 2012

Day Two

Today was a long and exhausting day with lots of furniture moving and swapping.
I thought I had been given all of my furniture before the weekend. I guess not, because it kept coming and coming today. I walked in to find my door blocked by 2 bookcases and throughout the day more bookcases and cabinets were added. At one point, they couldn't fit any more furniture in my room so they were just pushing it in from the door. Who thinks classrooms need that much furniture? There wasn't any room for kids much less me in the classroom! I have no idea how it got ordered, since I certainly didn't request that much.

I was so overwhelmed I didn't even think to take pictures, although they would be entertaining. There was no way to walk in my classroom! Luckily, the workers had some time to kill at our school and were willing to help move things around and they took out the stuff I didn't need.
The blessing behind all of this is that I got to get rid of my rickety, wobbly bookshelves and replaced them with sturdier ones. However, in the time it took me to take all my books out of my old bookshelves, the workers got busy again so I got to haul all my old bookshelves out and across the playground to storage. I also hauled all the primary sized chairs that were left in my room down the hall to a new 1st grade class and one of my filing cabinets down the hall to another teacher who didn't have one.

Again, I thought they were done with furniture deliveries, when they showed up again with a huge cabinet. We had some trouble trying to find a place to put it which was when one of the movers mentioned that I don't have any more room for furniture. I was shocked to hear there was more. He said there were two more bigger cabinets that were supposed to be put in my room. At this point, I drew the line and told him not to put any more furniture in my room!

By 2:00 (5 hours after arriving at school), I finally got some of my own work done. Here's pictures of some of the stuff that I did throughout the day.


I swapped out my bookshelves for these sturdier, longer, lower bookshelves. I also continued leveling and sorting books.

I made this rocket which is the beginning of my job chart. (Inspiration from Bulletin Board Ideas) By the way, my amazing Dad put the paper and border on this bulletin board! I'm still impressed.



I moved and set up my group table to find out that I don't really have space for it, so I'll have to think about that. The table is, hopefully, temporary since I asked for a grant to buy a kidney shaped one.

Also notice the mini-fridge in the background. It's a recent Target purchase and I think it's the perfect size! It doesn't take up too much space and will fit my lunch and a little bottle of coffee creamer if I decide to bring my coffee pot back to school.

This lovely (sarcasm) piece of furniture was delivered today. It is very well built and I think it has potential, but I have no idea what to use it for yet. I'm thinking paper storage on either side of the top, but don't know what to do with the middle or bottom. Any ideas?


This is the huge mauve cabinet that was delivered today. I don't like where I put it, but am having trouble finding another spot for it. I need to figure that out quickly though before the carpenters come out to bolt everything to the walls. 


I forgot to take an overall picture of the room, but it doesn't look much different than yesterday. The large tables that were in the back of the room were removed (finally) and my bookshelves changed. The rest of the classroom still looks like a tornado hit it. 


2 comments:

  1. Looking good Erin! As for that weird shelf...could you find plastic bins to fit in those cubbies toward the bottom? Where are you planning on putting this one? I feel like you could store extra pencils, colored pencils, markers, etc. in bins/cubbies near your teacher desk. It does seem like an awkward space : ) Maybe even tubs with math manipulatives?? I feel like I'm so out of touch with 5th grade though...I'm more of a second/third grade kinda girl.
    : )
    -Sarah (Snyder) : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! I think I'm going to end up using it for manipulatives and extra supplies. I had a different shelf for that stuff, but I think I'll make the other shelf storage for more of my own supplies, or that I don't want kids to have access to at all times. It's hard to make this funky shelf inaccessible to kids, so I'm not going to fight it. I'll make my other shelf inaccessible. Hopefully I'll have time to work on that tomorrow! Thanks for your input! It's great to hear from you!

      Erin

      Delete